Our goal is to provide a European-wide programme for enabling a more rapid maturation of European space technologies and components by offering an integrated, multi-platform IOD/IOV community, using GEO host platforms.
• What are the objectives of Plugin?
1. To develop an open standard for IOD/IOV technologies as passenger payloads on-board telecom commercial satellites
2. Propose a simple an generic approach, including technical interface requirements and implementation schedule
3. Define the business model for hosting such payloads on commercial spacecraft and associated contracting principles
4. Provide a list of flight opportunities
• Which organizations are targeted?
Any organization, public, private or a combination hereof that believes it can offer a positive contribution to the PLUGIN objectives. These organizations can for instance be payload developers, launch services, operators, or satellites hosts.
• How does Plugin work?
PLUGIN defines a set of standards for requirements and interfaces of three categories of payloads: small, medium and large. The hosted payloads shall comply with the set of interface requirements documented in the PLUGIN standards. After the IOD/IOV candidates are analysed by the PLUGIN consortium and if compliant, a launch opportunity will be offered.
• What is the minimum TRL to be compliant with IOD/IOV technology demonstrators?
The minimum TRL is 7 (System prototype demonstration in an operational environment).
• Why should I participate?
PLUGIN will offer the unique opportunity to obtain flight heritage on innovative space technologies. With a clear definition of the interfaces, the insertion of the hosted payload into the host platform can be done at a later stage of the testing phase, which offers flexibility for the delivery of the hosted payload.
• What is the relation with the other COMPET-5 projects: GOTOFLY!, PLUGIN and IODISPLay
GOTOFLY!, PLUGIN, IODISPLay and INVEST are the four projects funded under the COMPET 5- 2014 IOD/IOV work programme. Each project has a distinct scope:
The GOTOFLY! project’s objective is to identify an IOD/IOV portfolio of solutions and opportunities to support the European Space R&T&D in the field of Communication Satellites
PLUGIN is focusing on the development of an open standard for hosting innovative packages as passenger payloads on-board telecom commercial satellites in GEO. PLUGIN proposes a generic approach, including technical interface requirements and implementation schedule.
IODISPLay is focusing on capturing the current need for In-Orbit Demonstration within Europe, identifying technologies that could benefit from an IOD, whereas INVEST project looks at matching these needs with various launch/mission opportunities in the commercial and scientific field.
INVEST aims at providing a European-wide programme for enabling a more rapid maturation of European space technologies and components by offering an integrated, multi-platform IOD/IOV community.
• What is the deadline for submittal of my proposal?
The deadline is end of June, 2016
• What is the time frame of the program?
The study program runs from January 1, 2015 until July 1, 2016
• Are there any costs for participation?
No, participants can join the project for free. You might be charged for accessing events organised by third parties.
• I have Confidential information that I would like to share.
Please contact the PLUGIN team through the information on the contact page and you will receive a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
• I am from outside the EU. Can I participate?
If you would like to submit a launch, host or test opportunity non-EU participants are also welcome. For submittal of an IOV/IOD Technology only EU technology is accepted.